Cedar Class

Cedar class learning for 30 APR 2020

English: LO: to create a new type of poem.

Yesterday we explored haiku poems and created our own poem following the syllable pattern of 5,7,5. How easy did you find this? It can be hard to create a meaningful poem with a limit on how many syllables you have on each line, and how many lines you can have. Today, I would like you to create your own style of poem, and write a poem using your style.

For example: I will create a poem using a syllable pattern of 8, 12, 3, 6. This means I can have 4 lines and they can all be a bit longer! I will call this type of poem a flerm poem.

Here are 2 flerm poems I created myself:

The weather is really horrid,

I want to be able to sit in my garden,

When it rains,

I cannot BBQ.

I really like Nandos chicken,

But I haven’t had any in such a long time.

When I can,

I will buy lots of it.

Perform your poem to someone at home!

Maths: LO: to calculate change.

Last term we looked into working out how change works. Today I would like you to revisit this. I would like you to work on how to calculate amounts of change as if you were buying something in a shop using a bank note. For example, if you had a £2 coin and went into a shop to purchase a 90p can of drink, how much change should the person on the till give you?

If you are in Y4 or fancy a challenge: create a list of items (you could see some of the prices on items around the house) and work out how much change you would get from a large note such as a £20 note. To do this you will need to use your addition and subtraction skills.

For example how much change will I get from a £10 note for the following?:

£1.10 newspaper,

90p Boost bar,

£2.50 coffee.

I need to add the items together first: £1.10 + 90p + £2.50 = £4.50

Then, £10 – £ 4.50 = £ 5.50 in change.

If you have some play money or change at home, you could create a shop and sell things to people in your home!