This entry was posted in Elm Class and tagged .

Elm Class Suggested Learning Thursday 30th April 2020

Hasn’t April gone by so quickly! We are very much missing you all! If you would like to post any work on this thread or send it to me, I would love to see all the brilliant work you have been doing!

Spellings: This week, I would like you to look at words ending cian, tion and sion. The rules for adding these suffixes to a root word are as follows:

–tion is the most common spelling. It is used if the root word ends in t or te. –ssion is used if the root word ends in ss or –mit. 

–sion is used if the root word ends in d or se. 

Exceptions: attend – attention, intend – intention.

–cian is used if the root word ends in c or cs.

Can you use the spelling menu on the class webpage, to practice the words you have collected, ready for someone to test you tomorrow?

Arithmetic: BODMAS! (I’m sure you and family members would love to see the youtube video on how to remember the order of Bodmas- I will link it below!) 

Can you have a go at these questions?

4³+ 15 ÷ 3=

3 + ( 3² + 3) ÷ 3=

17 + 16 x 2=

30- 4² + 3=

You may also want to practice anything you struggled with on the test from last week, ready for the arithmetic test tomorrow.

Grammar: Today I would like you to think about relative pronouns. Remember relative clauses are added to sentences, to add more information about the noun in your sentence. These clauses could be removed from the sentence and the sentence would still make sense by itself. Relative clauses add information to sentences by using a relative pronoun such as who, that or which.

Can you add the correct relative pronoun to these sentences? Tomorrow I will set you a challenge, which uses you knowledge of all the pronoun types we have looked at this week! Challenge: Can you add brackets, commas or dashes to mark the relative clause in the sentence?

The boy ________ ran the race is called Simon.

The book _______ I left on the bus was my favourite.

The pens _______ I lent you were a birthday present from my friend.

He bought a watch _________ was very expensive.

English:  Write a letter to Willie as Zach. Think carefully about the way he speaks in the book and about his character. What kinds of things would he want Willie to know? What kinds of questions would he want to ask? Zach does not know about Willie’s mother and the way she treats him so how would he react to the fact that Willie has been allowed to go home for a bit (would he be jealous)?

Maths: L.O- I can work out which items are best value for money. Sometimes in shops, there are many deals which we have to be aware of, it may save us money, but sometimes it may not! This where our money skills come in! In some shops, you may have seen ‘4 for the price of 3’ but individually, is it actually cheaper to buy 4 of that item and it still be cheaper? I have attached a document below with some real life discount ‘fails’ where the discount actually sometimes works out more expensive! For each of these pictures, can you work out the original price and the discount or multi- buy price, which is best value for money?

Topic: Can you choose a different activity from the Japan activity list on festivals today? Could you research a different festival or create something on a festival you have been looking at so far?

Take care, 

Miss Coates.