Cedar Class

Cedar class learning for 15 JUN 2020

English: LO: to identify features of a postcard.

This week in English we will be looking into postcards and the style of writing we would use in a postcard to someone we know. To start off, I would like you to think about what a postcard is! Write a list of the features of a postcard. How is it different to a letter or report? When would we send a postcard to someone?

Have you ever received or sent any postcards? If you have some at home or can find a picture of one, use this to help you identify the features of it. We will be exploring writing postcards from tomorrow!

Maths: LO: to define ‘fractions’.

This week we will be exploring fractions in our maths sessions. When we talk about fractions in maths, a fraction is an equal part of a whole. For example, if I had a whole cake and sliced it straight down the middle, the two equal parts I now have would both be half of the whole cake. Were I to equally cut those two halves in half again, I would end up with equal-sized pieces of cake; these are quarters.

To start the week off, I would like you to create a definition poster on fractions. Write the word ‘ fractions’ in the middle of the page, and below it write what the word ‘fractions’ means in the context of maths. Are there any other words associate with fractions (see below for some to help you), write what these words are and what they mean. Are there any other words which sound similar to fractions? Why is it important for us to know about fractions? How are fractions used in our lives? On your poster, show how fractions are written (you might be able to label the parts of the fraction using some of the other related words). Finally, draw some shapes on your poster and cut them up into equal parts; label these fractions.

Related words: numerator, denominator, equal parts, whole, proper fraction, improper fraction, mixed number.