Cedar Class

Cedar class learning for 29 JUN 2020

English: LO: to create a scary word bank.

This week in English I would like you to try and write a scary short story! You challenge is to, by the end of the week, create a piece of writing which can scare someone at home (or me if you would like to email your work to me!). To create a scary story, one of the things we need to do is create a scary atmosphere (the feeling of the story and the place it is set). If we create the scary atmosphere at the start of the story, the reader is left feeling on edge and waiting for something spooky to happen. We want to keep the reader guessing what will happen for as long as possible; this is called ‘suspense’. We create a spooky atmosphere by using lots of adjectives so that the reader can really picture all the scary stuff we are thinking of as we write.

If I was writing a scary story about an underground tunnel, here is a bad example of me trying to create a scary atmosphere:

Bob went into the tunnel, as he went further in he saw loads of scary stuff and screamed because the stuff was so scary. Bob even saw a crocodile!

There is no suspense here and it’s tricky to imagine what the ‘scary stuff’ is! Here is a better example:

Bob slowly crawled through the rusty iron bars and into the dark, damp tunnel. As he crawled, the smell of wet mud and old rain water crept lazily up his nose. Finally, he struggled upright and nervously turned his torch on. The dim, yellow beam cut through the dark like a blunt knife and Bob gasped in horror as he saw it.

I’m hoping that after reading that you are left wondering what it is that Bob saw? Could you picture in your mind what Bob was seeing, feeling and smelling as he went into the tunnel?

Go through my paragraph again and underline any adjectives, adverbs, adverbials, similes or metaphors you can see. Then, I would like you to create a word bank of as many scary adjectives you can think of; this will help you when you write your own story.

Maths: LO: to define ‘shape’.

This week we will be looking at shape in our maths sessions. I would like you to begin the week by creating another definition poster on shape. What does shape mean? What different shapes can you think of? What is the difference between 2D and 3D shapes? Are there any other words associated with shape (see below for some to help you)? Write what these words are and what they mean. Why is it important for us to be able to understand shape? How can we use our knowledge of shape in our lives, or in our jobs? What are angles, and how do they fit in with shapes? What kinds of angle are there?

Related words: 2D, 3D, vertex, corner, edge, side, acute angle, obtuse angle, right angle, symmetry.